Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm a Loner, Dottie. A Rebel.

My unhealthy obsession of all things Pee-Wee Herman isn't getting any better.  I wait with baited breath for the new movie. My phone's ring tone is the theme to the original HBO Pee-Wee Herman Show. I still sleep with my Pee-Wee Herman doll. So when I went to see The Pee-Wee Herman Show on Broadway and saw his new Schwinn bike parked in the lobby of the Stephen Sondheim Theatre, I snapped a few pics for closer inspection.



I saw that he has a playing card clothespinned to his saddle bag.  I decided that if I didn't do this to my bike, I might die. But what card do I pin to my bike? As a shit picking Virgo, I follow the motto "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right", so I started my research on what card that is. I already have the perfect vintage deck of cards set aside for this project- a nude Gil Elvgren pin-up putting flowers in her hair. This was a promotional item given to my father who was a plumber by a bolt and screw company in the 60's.



I started my research at Funny or Die's "Pee-Wee Goes to Sturgis" video. Watching this video is bitter-sweet for me, because as a tattooed broad, I was selected to go to Sturgis and be in this video clip, but couldn't make it due to family obligations. I sucked it up and watched the video with my hawk eye.

And learned nothing.

My next thought was to contact Pee-Wee's people, but decided not to. I had better keep off their radar, being the obsessed stalker that I was. So it was off to Google to see what information I could find on the bike.

I learned that there was a contest at Sturgis this year in which top motorcycle and bicycle designers made over his iconic 1947 Schwinn bicycle. The winning bike would be auctioned off to benefit The Kids and Chrome Foundation. This wonderful bike I had been obsessing over was designed by Steve "Brewdude" Garn of BREW Bikes in North Carolina. And I found the perfect photo which held the clue to my quest.



There it is! Spoke card! I slapped that picture into Infranview, and closed in on that tire to see if I could identify the suit.

Eureka!



It's a Joker! Of COURSE it's a Joker (duh). Now I have the big decision of picking just which joker I should use. The two cards in my deck are equally lovely. I'm leaning towards the female juggling joker, although the one landing in it's bottom is pretty neat too.



I have the most fabulous Electra Pajama Party  bike in green polka dot (named Dottie, of course), and since I have a leather pouch on my bike, I have the perfect spot to put my card. My daughter gave me a cute little clothespin (because "you like to keep every little thing") and I triumphantly clipped on my card!

Once again, victory is mine :D



1 comment:

  1. Hi there! So glad you decided to join our *A MAKE A MONTH 2011* - looking forward to seeing what you make - my makes are always very simple!! love Annie xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...